2021-2023 OPERATING BUDGET SIDE-BY-SIDE
|$ in millions|
|WSU Request Budget||2021-23 Enacted Budget|
|2021-23 Maintenance Level||$ 553.5||$ 552.8|
|Medical School Completion Funding||$ 3.60||$ 3.60|
|Soil Health Initiative||-||$ 2.08|
|Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research||-||$ 0.28|
|Aviation Biofuels Work Group||-||$ 0.04|
|Clean Transportation Fuel Standards||-||$ 0.40|
|Climate Commitment Act||-||$ 1.72|
|Criminal Sentencing Task Force||-||$ 0.18|
|Diversity, etc./Higher Education||-||$ 0.20|
|K-12 Education Governance Wkgrp||-||$ 0.09|
|Menstrual Products||-||$ 0.09|
|Organic Waste Study / Fund 23P-1/044-1||-||$ 0.33|
|Pollinator Health||-||$ 0.45|
|Solar Siting Pilot Project||-||$ 0.50|
|Support for Farm Stress Program (CRRSA)||-||$ 0.50|
|Veteran's Mental Health Counselor||-||$ 0.08|
|Mandatory 15% Budget Reduction||$ (82.87)||-|
|Total 2021-23 Biennial Budget (State Appropriations)||$ 474.2||$ 565.2|
State agencies and universities were directed by OFM to include a 15% reduction in state funding in their request; this is in response to expected state revenue losses due to COVID-19. Further information can be found in the June 15, 2020 memo on OFM’s website.
The House and Senate passed the 2021-23 biennial operating budget, Senate Bill 5092, on April 25th, 2021, the final day of the 2021 legislative session. Governor Jay Inslee signed the bill into law on May 18th, 2021.
The enacted operating budget includes:
- $3.6M for the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine to fund 3rd and 4th year instruction for the 20-seat expansion authorized in 2019. This was included in WSU’s 2021-23 operating budget request and completes core funding for the medical school.
- $2.1M for the biennium to fund the Soil Health Initiative advanced by the university in the 2020 legislative session.
- $656,000 for maintenance and operations of new state buildings to be completed in 2021-23. WSU requested $931,000 in maintenance and operations funding in its 2021-23 budget request.
- Funding for various bills and other proviso funds for specific initiatives.
- The final budget does not include mandatory reductions that were a required part of the WSU request budget submitted last summer.